10 Reasons Why Everyone Should Go on a Health Retreat
It was around March 2017 that I had decided a change in course needed to take action in my life. I spontaneously decided to book a health and fitness retreat for 7 days in Bali, Indonesia and it ended up being one of the best decisions I've ever made. I came on the trip by myself, meeting so many inspiring people from all over the world and returned a completely different (and much happier) person! :)
Here's 10 reasons why everyone, even the least active people, must try a health retreat for their next adventure!
1) Changing and reviving your fitness routine: My workout regime was hardly progressing as my lifestyle had become so repetitive for the past 3 years - living out of home, working part time around uni only to spend most of my earnings during social events on a Saturday night. I went to the gym maybe 2-3 times a week and did the same cycle - treadmill, weights, stretch and post workout coffee. It wasn't inspiring and I rarely saw any progression during this time.
During my first fitness retreat, I learnt so many new work out tips and styles on this retreat and was so excited to implement them into my regime at home! I also found a new love for yoga - a movement style I had always shied away from but have fallen head over heels in love with! I now practice yoga almost daily and have seen an incredible transformation in my strength and flexibility.
2) Creating the willingness to improve your lifestyle: Doing a Health Retreat actually ended up changing my life - I became immensely passionate about health and movement more than anything. I have always considered myself a healthy and active person, but I wasn't actually achieving any real personal growth, lacking change and motivation. I didn't realise it at the time, but I think I must have been craving something to change my life and inspire me. I loved being in an environment where every person was there to self-improve, self-motivate - the sense of determination in the air throughout the retreat was so inspiring. At the end of the retreat, everyone claimed they were ready to take what they had learnt from the retreat back home and continue their fitness journey!
3) You have a REALLY RELAXING holiday: People automatically think of a health retreat as some detox where you snack on lettuce all day and do star jumps until you faint - WRONG! This week was by far the most relaxing and rejuvenating week of my life. The retreat was a holiday you don't need another holiday from, unlike Partying in Ibiza or Jetsetting over to Tomorrowland in Belgium. You wake up feeling fresh everyday, eating nourishing, nutritious food suitable for all dietary requirements (make sure you check every detail before booking as included meals vary for every retreat!). On my retreat, there was a beautiful beach club over looking Keramas Beach where you could sip on a glass of wine while watching the surfers glide along the waves at sunset...
4) If you're travelling overseas, its a perfect way to see the sites!: Most retreats will have excursions out to the local tourist destinations when held abroad. If you're planning on doing a trip overseas however have no idea how to get from A to B, a health retreat is a perfect option to have a healthy, safe and action-packed holiday with everything taken care of for you! The retreat I went on had every activity organised and set in stone, and even included days out to Jimbaran Bay and Ubud. This allowed the group members to be able to see the island outside of the resort, without having to lift a finger! Definitely gets my tick of approval :)
5) You learn how to embrace uncertainty and let go of control: being the type of person who always loves her independence and usually does things when and if she pleases, it was actually quite relaxing to have a week already planned out and organised. All the retreats and workshops I have been on were always planned out by the hour of the day, giving each participator an idea of what to expect, when to expect it and how to plan their free time around each activity. This wasn't a solidified schedule, and each activity is normally non-compulsory so even if you feel like a little extra "me time", you do you honey!
retreat, but boy am I glad I did. It changed my life and for the better - I can honestly say I am way more happy, content in myself and inspired than I have ever been due to creating a healthy and balanced life. I'm not saying that every retreat you book is going to have this same effect, but I'm sure you'll receive positive results regardless!
Don't hesitate to shoot me an email or comment below if you need help deciding on which retreat is perfect for you! I'd love to hear your thoughts and offer any advice I can :)
Happy travels guys,
Matilda Belle xx
Follow the gorgeous Matilda Belle on instagram @matilda.belle.x to see where in the world she's been travelling and her wonderful advice on wellness, yoga and travel. You can also find at www.matildabelle.net