The silly season is here, and what would any self-respecting Christmas gathering be without a few delicious cocktails. Although the idea of a healthy cocktail may seem unbelievable, we have searched the depths of the internet to bring you some tried and tested drinks that deliver on flavour and will impress your guests at your Christmas soirees.
Blueberry Lime and Lavender Cocktail
This beautiful floral concoction comes from non-other than the two English powerhouse sisters Hemsley and Hemsley.The subtle hint of lavender provides a unique and irresistible touch. Of course, dried lavender may not be all that easy to find in the aisle of your local grocery store but it can be easily procured online.
What you’ll need
- 150g fresh blueberries
- 6Tbs raw honey
- 1 ½ tsp dried lavender
- 500ml coconut water
- 125ml lime juice
- 250ml vodka
- Wash the blueberries thoroughly. Pulse them with the honey and lavender in a food processor or blender with 250 ml water to make a lavender infused syrup.
- Strain the syrup into a jug using a fine sieve or piece of cheesecloth, making sure you squeeze all the goodness from the blueberry-lavender pulp. Add the coconut water, lime and vodka and stir thoroughly.
- When ready to serve, add the frozen blueberries.
Use frozen blueberries as ice cubes and let them bob around in this pretty cocktail. Freeze them in a single layer on a baking tray.
Heathy Summer Sangria
What is summer without sangria? Sacrilegious that’s what. Sangria is the perfect drink for Christmas, it can easily be made ahead of time and in a big batch to keep the fun going. However, delicious as they may be, traditional sangria recipes tend to be high in sugar and calories. But this recipe by Anjali Shahis filled with fibre rich fruits which increases the nutritional value and fills you up so you are less likely to overindulge. Of course, you can substitute the fruits in this recipe for any of your choosing such as apples or lemons. This recipe also uses soda water in place of simple syrup so whilst it delivers on that delicious fruity sangria flavour we all know and love it cuts way back on the calories. Cheers!
Anjali Shah/ The Picky Eater
What you’ll need
- 5 bottles red wine
- 1/4 cup triple sec
- 2 cups sparkling lemon/lime/orange-flavored water (make sure the
- brand you choose has no added sugar)
- 1 pear diced
- 1 cup fresh strawberries, diced
- 2 oranges diced or sliced (not peeled)
- 1 cup pineapple chunks
- 1/4 cup orange juice
Combine everything (except the sparkling water) in a large pitcher, and store in the fridge for at least 4 hours.
2.Before serving, add the sparkling water to the pitcher, stir completely, and serve!
This bespoke cocktail is perfect for the health-conscious drinker. It swaps out the unnecessary calories in a traditional Pina Colada for Matcha green tea making it the ultimate super food cocktail. Bottoms up!
What you’ll need:
- 1/2 teaspoon Matcha green tea powder
- 35ml fresh pineapple juice
- 10ml Agave syrup
- 50ml coconut milk
- Low GI natural sweetener
- 50ml vodka
Method: Combine all ingredients in a blender until smooth and serve.